Sunday, February 5, 2012

What's in Your Pantry? Part 2!

This cleaning out of the pantry and freezer has been kind of like Christmas.  There are so many surprises!  I have found things that I had forgotten about, like yeast for baking, and gourmet coffee beans.

Today, we ran out of bread. Even though I had given myself permission to buy bread, I decided to try making some English muffins.  To my delight, the yeast was still active, even though the package said use before 2008!  (I did get my husband to lay hands on it and speak life to it! He had the nerve to cast out the spirit of hockey pucks!)

I forgot what a workout cooking from scratch is and especially making bread.  My arms need some serious strengthening!  This calls for more bread-making.  I am going to figure out the difference (approximately) in the calorie expenditure between driving to the store and buying a loaf and making it from scratch. I will let you know. :)

If you think about it, first there is all that bending and stooping to dig out the bowls, and pots and pans that have been buried for years.  Then there is the extra work that is created as you find cups filled with broken, beaded necklaces that you have been wondering where they went! Because now you have to find your beading tools and fix the necklaces, after you finish with the flour!

Then there is the washing of the dishes so they can be reused quickly.  Then there is the shoulder shrugs and arms (side-ways) curls as you stir in the flour bit by bit. I do think I have raised my heart rate significantly!  Yay!

I also ran out of Melitta coffee filters today.  As promised, I pulled out my percolator and made a pot of coffee requiring no filter.   I  had to make a mix of regular and decaf because I am almost out of regular beans...I am getting nervous!  Can I really switch to tea!!!

Yesterday we ran out of soda, so I made a pot of green tea sweetened with a little raw honey. Over ice it went and you know? I actually liked it.  Jack did too, but he did not ask for more...

Today's dinner will be an experimental venison-sausage pasta dish.  If it is good, I'll post the recipe..

Blessings, Anna Marie

1 comment: